2018-2019 Board of Directors
Appointed Board Members:
2018-2019 Committee Chairs
Avid Landscaping Design
and Development LLC
Owner: Robert Boyker
1413 N 136th St.
Seattle, WA 98133
Creative Kids Learning Center
Livingway Foursquare Church
North Seattle Pediatrics
Salvation Army Seattle Temple
Shoreline Central Market
Viewlands Elementary PTSA
Veraci Pizza, Inc.
– Movie Night
– Spring Auction
– Family Dance
VEPTSA sponsored events and activities needs volunteers to be successful. The Family Dance Party, Movie Night, fundraisers and other efforts can use your help. Volunteer contributions of time and talent strengthens the school community and benefits every student. Join us to help build a better Viewlands!
Cornerstone Home Lending
2018 Spring Auction & Social
Ann Campbell Pies
The Seattle Aquarium
Baleen Jewelry Shop
Granite Curling Club
Rainy Day Dinner Club
Kindergarten Play date
Lynnwood Bowl & Skate
Dena Dewar – Mom’s Margaritas
Ms Cordova Cupcakes
One on One B-Ball
Pacific Science Center
Pump it Up
Ruth Anne Confections
Seattle Children’s Theatre
Woodland Park Zoo
2018-19 Viewlands Spiritwear
Youth and adult sizes short and long sleeved t-shirts and hoodies on quality Gildan poly/cotton choice of blue or green with two color screen printing. Adult ladies cut pre-shrunk cotton t-shirts and canvas shopping totes also available.
Why and How To?
Simply click here and enter ‘ViewlandsOrcas’ (no space) in the Organization Code field. Sign up and become more informed.
You an also purchase Auction Tickets, Spiritwear and Holiday Wreaths by clicking ‘Online Store.’ You don’t have to become a member of the VEPTSA to support our fundraisers.
RULER: Promoting Emotional Literacy
Reading & Research on Race & Social Justice
Her challenge is to read these books, the ones that resonate the most with you are the one that should be on your shelf in your home. All of these titles should be required reading in our high schools but they are not. Ask yourself why? Tierra challenges all to look at the work cited in the books and find other authors and books referenced. Research them. When looking at the Youtube videos and documentaries listed, search for others concerning the same top of a point you want to expand on.
Tierra states that her presentations are never about making people believe the information she is giving. It is to make people think and look at it more closely. There are no quick answer on how to speak to our kids about the racial problem we have, the answer is to better educate ourselves so that we may guide our children accordingly. The great part is that we can take them on the journey with us and get them involved as well.
- They came before Columbus – Dr. Ivan Van Sertima
- Civilization or Barbarism – Cheik Anta Diop
- The Myth of Race: The Troubling Persistence of an Unscientific Idea – Robert Sussman
- A People’s History of the United States – Howard Zinn
- At the Dark End of the Street – Danielle McGuire
- White like me – Tim Wise
- Warriors Don’t Cry – Melba Patillo Beals
- The New Jim Crow: Mass incarceration in the age of Colorblindness – Michelle Alexander
- Jane Elliot – Rock Newman Show
- Hidden Colors Documentaries
1-5 (these are available on Amazon and at the Seattle Public Library)
- Prof. Kaba Kamene – The Life History of the Human race
- Joy DeGruy – Understanding the Human Condition
- Black Wall Street Documentary
- Tim Wise – Racism, White Denial and the cost to White Privilege
Advocating for Gun Violence Prevention Measures
Whereas, the National PTA has advocated for a variety of measures to address gun violence, including mental health education, early intervention, prevention and access to school and community-based mental health personnel and services, measures to educate students, educators and community members on firearm safety and violence prevention, as well as laws and regulations in the areas of gun safety and violence prevention; and
Whereas, we believe that every child deserves to learn in an environment that is safe and to have the opportunity to grow into a happy and healthy adult.
Therefore, be it resolved that the VEPTSA joins the National PTA (reference) in its demands that Washington State and federal governments adopt legislation to accomplish the following policy goals:
- Require universal background checks and a license to purchase a firearm.
- Re-enact a federal ban on the sale and possession of military-style assault weapons.
- Lift any ban on research that studies the causes and effects of gun violence.
Therefore, be it further resolved that the VEPTSA also supports laws and regulations that would accomplish the following:
- Increase the Federal minimum purchase age to 21 for all long-guns (rifles), which is the current federal minimum age for handguns.
- Require firearm safety training prior to the purchase of a firearm.
- Develop a state registry that allows one to voluntarily opt-out of the ability to purchase a firearm.
- Restrict non-Washington state residents from purchasing any firearms in Washington state.